Saturday, August 11, 2012

     After a big move to a different school, I have finally unpacked the majority of the 90+ boxes. My classroom is somewhat organized and I am getting pumped for a new year. I can't wait to see my students and am getting very excited about embarking on a new adventure at a new school. It will be a learning curve for all involved. I will be transitioning my students to new routines and new locations.

     Being a Pinnacle leader in Gaston County  I am blessed with an abundance of technology and opportunities for my students to use technology within the classroom.  I am currently racking my brain on how to use laptops in my classroom as center-based learning. The make-up of my classroom is very different from many elementary classrooms. I work with students diagnosed with Autism. Due to my students' inability to work independently I am struggling to develop independent centers using laptops to access the curriculum.
   
     I have one center set-up for data collection which will use a document camera and laptop to record student work samples.  I am toying with the idea to minimize the number of books in my student reading center which I will then supplement with online reading programs ( like bookflix and storylineonline.com) in order to provide independent opportunities for my students to interact with and have the books read to them.
I was able to procure two slates or airliners which I am thinking of using as a writing task.  By covering the slate with an overhead projection sheet ( acetate or leftover lamination film) I will be able to have the writing assignment (letters, numbers, spelling words) printed on the sheet and have the students trace over the assignment which will then transfer into a file and be another way to collect student data.

If anyone has any ideas that can help please post.

No comments:

Post a Comment